Wednesday, May 28, 2003

A couple of you asked this week what it is that I do. A lot of people ask me that. (It could be just because of my hair. I guess they can tell I don’t have a real job.) My answer depends on what day it is. Yesterday I was a recording engineer. Today I am engineering, designing a logo for a local company, and working on a screenplay. Tomorrow I will be a musician, engineer, writer and an animator. It’s not that I have so much talent (I don’t), it’s just that I don’t have a regular job. I suppose that’s also why all my friends with call display are never home. But I do enjoy an afternoon chat-up. That way I catch my friends before they start drinking, and can feel better about avoiding them at night when I’m working.



Life about here in Vancouver is expensive, and a lot of what I do is properly described as GAMBLING. Creating things is like buying lottery tickets. You can’t win unless you buy one. Each project is a gamble…an exchange of time for a chance at creating a more expensive art… for a down-the-road payoff.



If you live in Canada, the opportunities for this kind of work are fewer than they are in America. A Canadian has to create a lot of stuff to make money, and even more stuff to get noticed in a land of talented overachievers. So I made a lot of stuff. I helped my buddies make some of their stuff, and I almost made a living doing this for 20 years. So what now? Well…



As some of your efforts get recognized, people start looking at your other stuff. I got a phone call from LA today. I too (pen-monkey) have call display, and was expecting a call. I picked up the phone and heard nothing but laughter for a full two minutes. It was not who I thought it would be. I won’t tell you who it was, but it was someone high up the food chain that I am doing some work with. He said he had been a Little Guy fan for a while, and in tracking me down he had visited ZeD and found the Super Jeffie episodes. He was laughing at Super Jeffie takes a shit. I wonder if he had been drinking.



I wasn’t really sure I wanted these guys to see this kind of thing from me. I might need a new secret identity.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home