Saturday, April 26, 2003

It's funny... there are some things you learn that stick with you forever. I'm not talking life lessons here. Not those romantic lessons that scar you for life. ( Like those two girls at a party I was at when I was 15 that wanted to show me something THEY had just learned.) No I'm talking about something different here. And not the putting oil in the car thing either.


I learned how to play the guitar. I spent countless hours hunched over a crappy little turntable, playing fragments of songs over and over trying to get them just right. My cat could play the guitar if it spent that long at it. I don't think I've spent more time doing anything except sleeping. The thing is... being a guitar player is a horrible way to make a living. I won't get into that now. We'll just say it's not exactly selling masks in Toronto.


I still make my living from music, I just don't get to play guitar that often anymore. There are other instruments and interests out there, and I'm a bit of a do everything guy, so time is thin. But here's the thing... I'm glad I learned this because sitting around in the studio yanking along to a bunch of chords IS LIKE GETTING HIGH. I kid you not. If you're having one of those real good yanks where you can do no wrong, and your fingers are going where you're telling them to as if by magic you get just RIPPED. It's true.


I had one of those days yesterday. That kind of thing is the closest I've come to a religious experience, I suppose. Anyhoo, it's cheeper than coke, and doesn't fuck up your nose.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home